What Are the Most Common Pattern-Making Mistakes Before Production?

When a garment moves from an idea into production, small pattern issues can become much bigger problems later.

Some of the most common problems I see are inconsistent seam allowances, incorrect grading between sizes, missing notches, poor sleeve balance, and patterns that have not been properly tested through a sample.

For anyone working on their own patterns, I’m curious: what part of pattern development causes you the most trouble?

Is it fit, measurements, grading, construction, or getting the pattern ready for production?

At Lydia Design Studio, we work with pattern development and garment production, so I’m always interested in seeing what challenges designers and sewists run into during this stage.

At Freesewing users can configure the seam allowance they want. Patterns are not graded, but parameterized.

the most of my problem isen’t with patern making but catting uncomftrable fabric and chosing good fabric.

My biggest problem with clothing stores is that the clothes there are fitted for mannequins, not for human beings. the yoke is to low, The resting angle of the sleeves is too low, button spacing that is too wide** and such.

*And the reason I sew my own button-down shirts

** 2.5 in it the oltimate distance